This is a colorized photo of Front Street in Carbon Hill, thought to have been taken sometime in the 1940s.
Carbon Hill was first settled in the early 1820s and remained primarily a farming community for many years. In 1886, the Kansas City, Memphis, and Birmingham (later the Frisco) Railroad built a line through the area, bringing with it a new and convenient mode of transportation for both people and local products, goods, and soon more people settled there. Mines soon began to open in the area, bringing new employment opportunities. The first post office opened in 1887, and the town incorporated in February 1891. By 1900, the population was more than 1,600.