This photo of Main Street in Sumiton, looking west, appears to be from the late 1940s or early to mid 1950s. Kountry Karpets is now located at the far end of the street on the right. The town now known as Sumiton was originally called Bald Eagle until 1899, after which it was called Summit, named after the community’s high elevation. Sumiton was incorporated in 1952. According to the most recent census, the population is currently around 2600 people.