V.J. Elmore’s was a chain of variety or “five and dime” stores founded by Alabama native Virgil Jackson Elmore. Born in 1887 and raised on a farm in Gordo, Elmore returned home in 1925 from his service in World War 1 and opened the first of the 5 and 10 cent stores in Clanton. That store was a success and in 1927 he opened a second store on 19thStreet in Jasper, managed by O.C. Webb.
Business grew, and Elmore’s acquired the adjoining store, almost doubling the space. In 1937 the Jasper store was remodeled at a cost of $8,000, making it one of the largest stores at the time in Walker County. Today many former shoppers still fondly recall the pleasant aroma of roasted cashews and fresh buttered popcorn that greeted customers upon entering the store.
When Elmore passed away in 1942, there were 44 stores in operation. The company was purchased by General Shoe Company (Genesco) sometime in the 1960s.
The store in Jasper closed its doors in the early 1980s.